We connect students

The Wire

We connect students

The Wire

We connect students

The Wire

Prism Concert Held on February 13

Most renowned for having ensembles perform in different areas of the auditorium, the Prism concert has become an annual tradition for students and faculty in the music department. This year’s concert took place on February 13. 

The concert breaks from a typical on-stage performance as it is a celebration of the department’s highest ensembles that allows multiple groups to perform a variety of songs for their audience, without any breaks between ensembles. 

Prism is the perfect blend of classical and contemporary music as members of the Chamber Orchestra, Symphonic Orchestra, Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Band, and Voice Ensemble separate into smaller ensembles to perform multiple pieces. 

The Symphonic Orchestra performed “Skyfall” by Adele while the Wind Ensemble played a classical piece called “Puszta” by Jan Van der Roost. Some groups showcased their talents through a combined performance. 

“Get ready to hear the Chamber Orchestra and members of Voice Ensemble combine their talents to bring you a vocal and orchestral performance called ‘Remember’!” said Lindsey Winters.

For many students, Prism is the best concert of the year. It is a break from the more demanding, longer pieces these impressive ensembles perform at their official winter and spring concerts. Through Prism, students are given creative freedom to choose the music they perform. One group of Taylor Swift fans within the Chamber Orchestra is planning on playing her hit song “You Belong With Me.” 

Just one day before the concert, the ensembles held a dress rehearsal to ensure that the program ran smoothly .“We’ve been working extremely hard for the past few months, and I can’t wait for everyone to hear everything we’ve prepared!” said Zara Rahman, a violinist in the Chamber Orchestra.

Although every transition seems seamless the night of the concert, behind the scenes work is imperative. The audio and visuals team ensures that all ensembles are under lights during their performances. The music staff curate a program that ensures all students performing in multiple ensembles have enough time to arrive at their next location, and students rehearse their ability to transition between pieces. It is necessary for transition times to be silent, as noise takes away from the spontaneity of the performance.

The Prism concert is an event open to all members of the Monroe-Woodbury community.

“I’m excited to see all the hardworking students perform and show off their talent,” said Mia Waldner, a junior who aims to watch the performance in the audience. Students, family, and friends are invited to attend and support the district’s hard working music students.