We connect students

The Wire

We connect students

The Wire

We connect students

The Wire

Five Ways To Avoid the Getting the Flu

A person holding a thermometer (Pexels.com)

Flu season is the months of December all the way to May. This season is a burden to those who have midterms or important tests, or simply just people who hate being sick. Here are some of the top easy and efficient ways to keep your body healthy in these months. 

Wash your hands consistently:

Washing hands regularly with soap and water is a key and vital way to get rid of germs. Make sure the water is warm and you wash your hands for at least 20 seconds. Some people sing the “Happy Birthday” song twice, which could be a fun way to make the time seem like it’s going faster. Most people forget to scrub between their fingers, under their nails, and their wrists but it’s important to wash those parts of your body too because germs hide in the small folds in your skin, according to the website of the National Institutes of Health. 

Get vaccinated: 

A flu vaccine is a shot that protects people from the flu. It contains a weakened part of a flu virus that helps stimulate your body to develop antibodies if a strong flu virus goes into your body. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says that people should get their vaccination in the fall, right before flu season starts. It takes two weeks for your body to create the protection after the shot and getting it earlier rather than later helps insure your protection. Getting vaccinated helps protect you from the flu, but  even if you do get sick it reduces how severe the illness is. Remember to always talk to your healthcare provider before making your decision about getting a flu vaccination.

Avoid close contact with sick people:

Common symptoms of the flu are coughing and sneezing which also is a common way it spreads. When someone coughs or sneezes the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention say tiny droplets are released into the air. Those droplets contain germs/viruses or bacteria. Whoever and whatever is nearby those droplets can land on you and you can breathe them in and yourself become infected. If you see someone coughing or sneezing it’s safe to say to keep at least six feet from that person.

Don’t share water bottles:

When you drink from a water bottle your mouth leaves behind saliva and in that potential bacteria or viruses. If someone uses the same bottle they come into contact with that same bacteria and germs and potentially get sick. Emilia Friedman, a third year medical student, recommends always using your own water bottle to stay hygienic and reduce the risk of coming into contact with unwanted germs.

Cover sneezes and coughs:

Not only should you be aware of preventing yourself from getting sick, you should also ensure you keep the people around you safe and healthy too. As stated earlier, tiny droplets are released when you cough or sneeze and to prevent those droplets from spreading you can use a tissue or cough/sneeze into your elbow. This doesn’t get rid of the germs, so you should throw the tissue out and wash your hands. The reducing of the spread of respiratory droplets helps significantly prevent the spread of illness. 

By following these suggestions you can minimize your chances of catching the flu. Keeping your immune system healthy should always be your first priority. Stay healthy!