Let Your Voice be Heard: Get Out and Vote on November 3

Jenna Rowen-Delson, Staff Writer

The 2020 presidential election is coming up on November 3, and you may have a larger role in this election than you think.

In 2020, one in every ten eligible voters will be a part of Generation Z, and according to Pew Social Trends, “roughly 24 million will have the opportunity to cast a ballot” who are under the age of 23. Democracies were created to give the people what they want, through the power of voting. For our government to best reflect the wants and needs of the entire population and give them what they want, everyone who can vote, needs to vote. 

If people don’t vote and tell elected officials what they want, the government could run amok with corruption. Voting is incredibly important. According to the Washington Post, “During the 2016 presidential election, over 40 percent of eligible voters did not vote.” That’s almost over 100 million people. 

Many younger voters choose not to vote because they don’t feel educated enough to make a decision. It is imperative to do your research. Figure out what is important to you and find out which candidate best represents the changes you want to see. Only some upperclassmen can vote in this year’s presidential election. But that does not mean younger students should not pay attention. Familiarize yourself with government, voting, and politicians. This way when you are eligible to vote, you will know your stance and feel confident in your decision. Even if you can’t vote, you can still voice your opinion and inform others that can.

According to the New York State Board of Elections, 16 and 17-year-olds can pre-register to vote.

Your vote matters. Your right to vote was fought for by millions of people throughout the history of America. They fought so every single person could have a say in our country’s government. Educate yourself, register, and when the time comes, if you can, vote. 

It may not seem like politics affect you personally, but they influence almost every part of our lives. The candidates you vote for influence laws, speed limits, schools and so much more that it is sometimes taken for granted. Vote for those who can’t vote; politics may be a matter of life or death for someone else. That’s why it is important to exercise your right to vote and give your say in American politics.

Any U.S. citizen 18 and older is eligible to vote; the last day to register was October 9, 2020. 

In New York, you can also vote before Election Day. The early voting period runs from October 24 to November 1. Election day is November 3.