M-W students to perform Addams Family Musical in March

The spring musical had rehearsal on Wednesday, January 16th. They are rehearsing a scene from The Addams Family with the whole cast on stage.

Varsha Jegan, Contributing Writer

The Addams Family musical will be performed in the auditorium March 29 at 7 p.m. and March 30 1 p.m. and 7 p.m.

Ticket prices are $12 for students with a student ID and $15 for everyone else. 

The musical is directed by Ms. Hintze and the music coordinator is Dr. Crone. Sue, as the cast calls her, is the dance instructor.

The Addams Family was chosen because Ms. Hintze said she likes to pick shows that are challenging enough for the returning members but have enough opportunities for the newcomers and the students who are “emerging.” The staff usually picks the show in April for the next year.

Caroline Kivlehan, who plays Morticia Addams, said “I was ecstatic to hear that the show was The Addams Family. I think it’s a hilarious show. The script is genius.”

Ms. Hintze has been directing the school musical for 31 years and she says that the best part of working on the musical with the students is “when the idea jumps out of my head and goes into them and allows them to become who they’re capable of becoming and doing what they can do. Rising to the occasion and make the show theirs, no longer for me.”

Students are cast into the musical based on their auditions, which were held in the second week of December. For their auditions, the students had to sing a song from The Addams Family.

Some students got called back so Ms. Hintze could determine what role is best for them. Ms. Hintze said that students have to ultimately “take direction well and have chemistry with other cast members to look like they are potentially suitable for a role.”

Rehearsals started soon after roles were picked. They take place after school from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. 

“We run a tight ship and we try to make every minute together count. We are very directed. We don’t waste time with anything,” says Ms. Hintze. “Expectations are high.”

Zion Amparo, who plays the part of Gomez Addams, said “You can feel the camaraderie when you step into rehearsal. Being around these people every day until March for five months, you really start to bond with each other.”

Producing the show is not without its challenges, one of them being the costs of the props.

“The rising costs of materials to put on a show of this caliber is a costly measure and I try to put on a close to professional production as humanly possible here,” said Ms. Hintze.

Another challenge Ms. Hintze said they have to face is the weather. Most of the rehearsals they have are during the winter so the days off because of the snow mean they cannot meet to rehearse, giving them fewer days to practice before the show.

Some of the main roles cast are Uncle Fester, played by Matthew Coloma; Morticia Addams, played by Caroline Kivlehan; Gomez Addams, played by Zion Amparo; Wednesday Addams, played by Emma Dawson; and Grandma Addams, played by Bella Friedman.

The day I found out I got the part of Morticia Addams was one of the most surreal experiences ever,” said Kivlehan. “When I was little I always came to see the shows and remember being in awe. I knew that one day I wanted to be a part of it, and now that I am, I couldn’t be more grateful.”

“I think it is a great experience. I’ve made a ton of new friends,” said Coloma. “You feel almost more open in a way. Doing presentations in class, I feel way more comfortable.”

Many students who are part of the musical this year say they feel it’s a really great opportunity for them and helps them become a better person. Senior Sydney Bulla, the president of the drama club this year who plays Pugsley Addams, has been part of the musical since her freshman year.

“You get more comfortable with yourself and around others,” said Bulla. “It’s like a family.”