Students thoughts on the last challenge before their drivers license: the road test

Alana Collopy, Contributing Writer

Before getting their driver’s license, Monroe-Woodbury students first have to pass their road test. The experience is different for everyone.

In New York State, people are allowed to get a learner’s permit when they turn 16 years old. In order to receive a permit, an applicant must first take a written exam.

Once the permit test is passed, there is a waiting period of six months before an applicant is allowed to take the road test. Within those six months, the learner must complete 50 hours of driving with a licensed adult who is at least 21 years old.

The road test examines certain driving abilities, such as parallel parking, three-point turns, as well as right and left turns. When the test is started, a young driver begins with zero points, and points are added for each mistake that is made. Drivers are allowed to get up to 30 points before it is considered failing.

Students report having different experiences during their road test.

“My road examiner was very not chill. I tried to strike up a conversation and she yelled at me saying she doesn’t talk, and I couldn’t find the speed limit and she wouldn’t tell me,” said senior Richard Toledo. “She would yell at me to speed up towards stop signs because I was too slow and I was just trying to not kill us.”

Toledo also believes that the test should be more thorough.

“I think the test doesn’t test for certain situations a driver may find themselves in and simply covers the basics. It should probably cover more hazardous situations, but that would be more difficult to test,” said Toledo.

Rachel Nalback, a Monroe-Woodbury High School senior, had a different experience with her road test.

“I thought the test was actually easier then I expected, probably because my dad taught me everything and he was a really good teacher,” said Nalback. “I just knew I was ready and had it down.”

Although her experience went well, she was concerned about how it would turn out.

“When I was going into the test I was so nervous,” said Nalback.

Senior Tiana Liggio believes that the road test is fine as it is.

“I think it was really fair, nothing wrong with it at all,” said Liggio, who added that her test took about 10 minutes.