Book club gives students a chance to read and celebrate literature

The Book Club had it’s last in-person meeting to discuss “Enchanted Air” over a year ago.

Chloe Guerrera and Joanie Kreppein, Staff Writers

The Monroe-Woodbury High School Book Club is a fairly new club in only its second year. The club was started by English teacher Ms. Chappell in order to connect with students and encourage students to read.

The club has explored many modern works of young adult literature such as Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda, The Hate U Give, and, most recently, We Were Liars. They have plans to read many more novels this year and club members are included in deciding which books to read.  

The current president is senior, Day Bermeo. Her reason for joining book club is a common one: she joined due to her “passion for reading books.”

The club meets approximately twice a month, every other Thursday, in room 322 on C floor. Everyone is welcome.

In the first meeting of the month, the students make posters for the book they are reading. After making the posters, they are hung up around the school, to promote the book.

At the second meeting of the month, desks are put together with a tablecloth on it, and chairs all around, so students can feast. The students and Mrs. Chappell sit around the table, eat food and discuss the book. The students each write their thoughts or questions about the book on a Post-It note. Then someone in the group reads them, and they are discussed.

The students discuss some themes and literary elements that are present in the book. They discuss characters, make connections to other books, events in history, and today. Also, they express their opinions and thoughts on the book. Everyone has a voice.

According to Idaho State Institute, joining a book club can have its benefits such as: improving teamwork; improving writing skills; and gaining new perspectives.

Elizabeth Ferguson, a freshman member, said book club creates community and the books that they read give her more insight on what’s going on the world today. She added, “I learned that equality has been fought for a long time and is still being fought for today.”

English Department Chair Ms. Bulla, who belongs to two book clubs herself, said, “It’s a fun way to begin, sustain and enjoy a reading habit.”  She added that it is an enjoyable way to share personal experiences you’ve had with a book.

Librarian Ms. Sherman said that having students read the same book and gather around food helps create great conversation. She said,  “I read all the time, and it’s a great way to decompress and de-stress from everyday stresses, but it’s also a social aspect.”

Ms. Sherman added that you get to interact with people, who have the same interest in reading, and whom you probably would have not hung out with otherwise.

New members are always welcome.

“It’s a fun club; you have plenty of time to read the books and it looks good for colleges,” said Bermeo.