Students will see live performance of the novel ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’

Cassidy Conklin, Contributing Writer

To Kill a Mockingbird, a novel originally written by Harper Lee is a Pulitzer Prize-Winning American Classic. After reading it with her classes, Ms. Blumberg, an English teacher, will be taking her students to the Shubert Theatre in New York City to see a live interpretation of it on stage.

Ms. Blumberg said that she had heard of the play on Facebook and wanted to watch it personally, so when Ms. Fowler asked her if she’d like to bring her students on a field trip to see it, she agreed.

“I’m really excited to get everyone in and just to give them the opportunity to experience live theater and see a different kind of interpretation of To Kill a Mockingbird,” said Ms. Blumberg. “I show the movie every year, but now they’ll have three different ways to compare it.”

It’s like my love for plays and books collided.

— Annie Patel

Between Mrs. Fowler and herself, they could bring 60 students, so they had to find a way to choose which students could go. She put all the names of the students who wanted to go onto a list and assigned them a number, then she used an online random number-picking program to pick the first 28.

One of the 28 randomly chosen students, Annie Patel, said that she thought it was a great idea because she has an interest in theater and books in general. Patel said that she was really excited to hear about the field trip and was even happier when she found out she would be going.

“It’s like my love for plays and books collided,” said Patel.

According to the Shubert Theatre’s website, To Kill a Mockingbird was adapted by Aaron Sorkin and is being directed by Bartlett Sher and the price could range from $29 to $169.

Ms. Blumberg said that even though this is something new to her, she will definitely be doing this again for future students. Even if To Kill a Mockingbird is not available, she hopes to see another play next year.

“I think that any theatrical interpretation of something is just a very special creation that not all students get to experience,” said Ms. Blumberg.