Blood drive takes place at the high school

Alondra Garcia, Contributing Writer

Monroe-Woodbury High School hosted a blood drive on Friday, October 19, in the wrestling room, and many students participated in this event throughout the day. FBLA had student volunteers there all day to guide those giving blood before and after their donation.

Information about the blood drive was located outside of the large cafeteria located on B floor. Students were able to ask questions and sign up to participate in the Blood Drive.

Students asked if they should eat before donating and the volunteers said that they should eat something because it can lower the risk of passing out during the donation.

Students must also bring a form of identification to prove their age to be accepted to participate in the event. Any student signing up must be 16 years old with parental permission or 17 and older without parental permission. They must also weigh at least 110 pounds or more.

One of the volunteers explained that they would take a pint of blood that includes red cells, platelets, and plasma. The donation takes about 10 to 12 minutes. After someone donates blood, they cannot donate blood for 56 days if they had a whole blood donation, or 112 days if they had an automated red cell donation.

Some exclusions apply to those who can donate blood, including if the student is sick, has tattoos, had a blood transfusion, or had surgery.