We connect students

The Wire

We connect students

The Wire

We connect students

The Wire

Putting Together the 2024 Yearbook is Challenging and Rewarding for Club Members

Yearbook+members+put+together+the+yearbook+for+2024.+
Yearbook members put together the yearbook for 2024.

Monroe-Woodbury’s High School’s yearbook “The Shield” takes a lot of time and effort to print, but the process is rewarding for the club’s members.
Ms. Rosario, co-adviser of the yearbook club and special education teacher, said that like every year, lack of time and other spring events are major problems.
“Complications that always exist for the yearbook is our deadline, which people don’t really realize. It is usually the last day of March,” Ms. Rosario said. “Also, spring sports are a tough one to cover as well, because of the fact that spring sports begin in March. So the biggest deal is that we cannot cover things like the prom, spring events, senior barbecue/picnic at the end of the year.”
Not only are there many complications to creating the yearbook, but there is also a lot of work that happens inside of the yearbook office as well.
“So besides taking photos, we also have to create the spreads for each theme/section that we are going with. Including sports sections, student life, underclassman portraits, senior portraits, etc.,” Ms. Stancarone, co-adviser of the yearbook club and Special Education teacher, stated. “We also have to do a lot of editing, spelling of names, writings, checking grammar, etc. It is not just photos, but a lot of meticulously oriented things that we have to cover in the yearbook club, too.”
“We contact coaches, faculty, students, and Board Of Education members for information and data. We are in contact with the photography company, and we coordinate when and how all portraits/candids get covered. We check for things like inappropriate apparel, hand gestures, et cetera.” Ms. Rosario said, “Outside of the actual book we also fundraise. The yearbook members have to raise money through business ads in the community. Where they actually have to go out and sell ad spaces to the local businesses to help combat the price of the book.”

This year’s galaxy themed yearbook cover.

As of right now, this is Ms. Rosario’s fifteenth year and Ms. Stancarone’s second year of being the adviser of the yearbook club.
The 2024 yearbook’s theme features the idea of a galaxy-styled book, called “Make Time For…”. The inspiration for this yearbook theme comes from the need to make time for anything, whether it’s memories/values or family/friends.
When asked about what is your favorite part about the yearbook club, Betsy Torres Fidel, treasurer of yearbook, stated, “I like how it’s a community, a familiar place, a safe spot where you can talk to anybody. This club is very supportive and open, overall has a family feeling to it.”
“I like that you are always busy, always have something to do. I like that I am able to express my ideas by decorating certain designs, templates,” said Amy Jimenez Velazquez, executive assistant.
Ianna Sim, co-secretary, said, “My favorite part of the [yearbook] club is being able to collaborate with other people and create memories.”