We connect students

The Wire

We connect students

The Wire

We connect students

The Wire

Outdoors Club Welcomes New Teacher Advisers

Ms. Bogart-Schmidt and Mr. Agro have been welcomed by the Outdoors Club officers and student members as this year’s new teacher advisers. They are both experienced and full of knowledge, ready to take on this exciting club. 

“I am a Boy Scout leader. I enjoy doing outdoor activities,” said Ms. Bogart-Schmidt. “Mr. Agro was also a Cub Scout leader. He also likes the outdoors. We thought it would be fun to do this together. It really is a team effort.”

They have spent the start of the school year to develop a few new ideas as to what the Outdoors Club can do in the upcoming months. 

“There is some interest in participating in a walk as a fundraiser for Beautiful People,” said Ms. Bogart-Schmidt. “We’d also like to get a couple of hikes going. I’m a little concerned about people not having the necessary equipment to hike in the real cold, so we’ll get those going in March or April.”

Beautiful People is a non-profit organization that provides adaptive athletics for adults and children with disabilities. 

The students a part of this wonderful club are as ecstatic as the teachers are to be a part of such a welcoming club. 

“It brings people together. You have the opportunity to interact with people you don’t know. Going out gives you time to make nice friends,” said Emilia Calone, a freshman, “I like meeting new people, and even though they might be older, they take you under their wing. It feels really welcoming.”

“Participating and going outside benefits not only students mentally, but also the environment. I would definitely participate if I was able to,” said Emily Pichardo, another freshman.

The Monroe-Woodbury High School website helps make clear the purpose and essence of the club, stating, “Students who appreciate the outdoors will plan and enjoy a variety of outdoor activities. We are open to hiking, biking, and outdoor activities of all kinds! Experienced outdoors adventurers and those who would like to become one are welcome.”

Ms. Bogart-Schmidt also explains how students who cannot participate in the activities support the club through fundraisers.

“Well, we’re going to be selling t-shirts, so they can certainly buy one of our Outdoors club t-shirts. They’re pretty nice, and one of the students actually designed it,” said Ms. Bogart-Schmidt.