Interact lends a hand to clean up Museum Village

Kristy Lopez

Volunteers spread out across Museum Village grounds to take part in the annual Spring clean up.

Kristy Lopez, Staff Writer

The annual Spring Clean Up event for the Monroe Museum Village took place on Saturday, April 2. This event had members of Monroe-Woodbury High School’s Interact club as well as volunteers from Orange and Rockland Utilities, Inc. working together to get the area ready for business in the spring.

Volunteers from Interact were assigned tasks like raking and disposing branches on the road after they signed in with Director Naomi Hanson.  I was one of these volunteers and was assigned to dispose of branches in the area.

The adult volunteers gave Interact members supplies and tips on how to do yard work (which was desperately needed and appreciated). Though the weather was particularly cold, all the volunteers cleaned up the area completely while enjoying their time together.

By 1 P.M., the organization provided volunteers a break and ordered pizza and drinks for everyone. They had also gave volunteers permission to take a look at the artifacts in one of the buildings.

Other volunteers from Interact like Ella Cherian and Alexia Joseph explained why they participate in events like these.

“Helping others is extremely important, and it feels good to do it,” said Cherian.

Joseph agreed with Cherian about the importance of helping others.

“I care about the community deeply,” said Joseph, “and I want to see everyone succeed.”

Volunteers representing Orange and Rockland Utilities, Inc. were also at the event like Rochelle Hall who has been volunteering as of July, 2021 because she “likes to support our community and meet the needs of our community.”

When signing out, Director Hanson was questioned as to why she is so passionate for the museum’s progress and representation of Hudson Valley history.

“My mission is to make sure we’re having a representative and diverse history because we’re not going to be a tolerant community unless our history is tolerant and truthful,”  said Hanson. “We’re growing more diverse every year. I don’t want history to stay stagnant when it is such a powerful tool in understanding the Hudson Valley area.”

The clean up was a success, and the area is getting closer to being ready for the influx of visitors ready to learn about the history of where they live in the 21st century.