Heavy rains force homecoming dance cancellation

Jenna Alifano, Staff Writer

The homecoming dance to be held on the football field on Saturday, October 16th was canceled due to heavy rains. The school sent an email to all the parents regarding the cancellation and information on when they will be refunded for the tickets.
Ms. Zomback, adviser of the student council, said that it is unlikely that there will be a rain date. Though it is not certain that the dance will be rescheduled, the chances are slim. Ms. Zomback explained that it would be difficult to reschedule due to the fact that it is now getting colder outside and New York state still has a maximum of 250 people for a social indoor gathering.

In spite of the dance being canceled, students still found a way to make the most of it. Many students had developed a “Plan B” consisting of alternative activities, such as hanging out with friends or going out for dinner.

Students have shared their disappointment about the cancelation. Alexandra Zeolla, a freshman, stated, “It’s upsetting that the dance was canceled. I think after being in lockdown for such a long time kids just wanted to go out and have fun.”
Brady Bermingham, a junior, also shares this frustration.
“After a year and a half of missed events, I was looking forward to homecoming and was disappointed it didn’t happen. I was hoping this year would be different, but it isn’t. We are missing out on so many High School memories. Hopefully, things can go back to normal soon,” said Bermingham.

Prior to the cancellation of the dance, Ms. Zomback shared information about what it takes to set up an event like this. During Ms. Zomback’s many years at Monroe-Woodbury High School, she has assisted in multiple homecoming dances. One major anticipated challenge for this year’s dance was to set down the floor on the football and track field. Some of the expenses included the DJ, food, drinks, balloons, streamers, and other decorations. Because they did not utilize most of the services, it’s unclear what the exact price was, but Ms. Zomback said she is sure it was over $1,000.