Sports Can Help Students Learn Skills, Make Friends and Get Fit

Jason Tsoi

Monroe-Woodbury offers many programs and opportunities for students to participate in after school.; one of the most popular activities that students choose to do is sports. 

Athlete Sydny Centeno is part of the girl’s bowling team and she has been playing for two years. Centeno and the bowling team practices and plays at Colonial Lanes. 

“When I get home from school, I have nothing to do,” said Sydny Centeno. 

She heard about the bowling team and was interested in joining. Centeno enjoys bowling and she said she is glad that she found out about the sport.

Students also participate in sports to learn skills, to make friends and to get fit. According to an article from Sutter Health, a medical organization in California, “Playing sports helps you stay in shape, teaches you how to organize your time, boosts friendships, and builds relationships with your peers and adults.” 

Coaches are a huge part of a sports team and they play an integral role in instructing and training athletes.

According to Topend Sports, an informative website about sports and fitness, “Sports coaches assist athletes in developing to their full potential. They are responsible for training athletes in a sport by analyzing their performances, instructing in relevant skills and by providing encouragement. But you are also responsible for the guidance of the athlete in life and their chosen sport.”

Mr. Vero coaches the girl’s varsity tennis team in the fall, the boy’s and girl’s varsity bowling team in the winter and the varsity baseball team in the spring. He has been coaching at Monroe-Woodbury for 17 years.

There are many qualities that coaches look for in student athletes. Vero said, “What we look for in a student athlete is work ethic, somebody that is willing to put in the time and work into their athletic endeavors.” 

Also, Mr. Vero mentioned that he looks for teamwork and the ability to balance sports and academics. 

Being a coach also comes with difficulties and obstacles. Many student athletes have many activities outside of sports, for example, working, spending time with friends and family and school work.

Sports are a big part of our school and community. Athletes and coaches make up a part of the demographic of students and staff that are in our school district.