Musical Ensembles Host Winter Concert

Burhan Khan, Contributing Writer

On December 9, 2019 the freshmen orchestra, band, and chorus performed a concert from 7 to 8 p.m. in the high school auditorium. 

The conductors for the orchestra were Mr. Champlin, and Ms. Buono. For the band, it was Mr. Petrocelli, and Mr. Regan, and for the chorus it was Dr. Crone.

The order of the concert was the orchestra, then the band, and then they finished off the concert with the chorus.

This was many students’ first time playing in the high school, making it stressful for some freshmen, but for seniors it was their last.

The band players, orchestra players, and chorus singers had been practicing their music since the beginning of the school year in order to be prepared for the concert.

The orchestra performed Allegro Con Brio, Russian Sailor’s Dance, and The Beatles’ Hey Jude.

The chorus performed “Winter Wonderland”, “Gloria”, and “Welcome One and All.”

The band performed “Entrance of the Tall Ships”, “A Song of Hope”, and “The Southhampton March.”

Matthew Ocasio a bass player for the orchestra, said that the worst part of the concert was the pressuring of messing up in a stage full of people, 

To Ocasio, the upsides of playing for the concert was the music itself being relatively simple to practice, so to him there would be less of a chance to mess up. 

Ocasio also said that the best part of orchestra is actually just the feeling of playing the music.

Harrison Reynolds, a singer in the chorus, said that the concert was very easy to prepare for, making it less stressful for him.

Mr. Champlin, one of the conductors of the orchestra, said that the most difficult part of concerts is to control the students’ excitement, so that they do not play the songs incorrectly.

The practices before the concert in the beginning were also a challenge, because he was still learning everyone’s personality, and trying to help them work around their problems. He said that the most rewarding part of the concert was when all the students play in unity, with no mistakes.