Students write letters for the Make-A-Wish Foundation

Jared Anderson, Staff Writer

On Thursday, December 6 and Friday, December 7, students in the high school and middle school were encouraged to participate in writing a letter to Santa during lunch periods, which was organized by the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

The Make-A-Wish Foundation is a non-profit organization that focuses on trying to give children with terminal illnesses a “wish,” to try and lift their spirits.

Students from the S.A.D.D club, or Students Against Destructive Decisions, along with Ms. Martucci, the adviser, organized this event in both schools.

Ms. Martucci first became involved with Make-A-Wish when she had a student who was a cancer survivor and was in the Make-A-Wish program and another student wanted to start a Kids for Wish Kids club.

To begin this process, Mrs. Martucci worked with other school organizations like Interact and students in Life Skills classes.  Additionally, Mr. Cardone who was the supervisor for the town of Monroe helped with fundraising and the making of t-shirts.

Mrs. Martucci was officially trained by the Wish House as a volunteer and, through collaboration with Mr. Flanagan, has done an event every year.  This school year was the third year with the Macy’s Believe campaign and this year, students from the S.A.D.D organization helped with the event.

Mrs. Martucci says it is one of her favorite days of the year because it brings out the good in students.

For every letter written to the Make-A-Wish Foundation, Macy’s donated a dollar to them. However, because Friday, December 7 was Believe Day, all letters were written and delivered to Macy’s by Friday, was supported by a two dollar donation from.

After everything was collected, a total of 2,756 letters were written to the Make-A-Wish organization, resulting in a $5,512 donation from Macy’s.