Spanish class sees Spanish-language play in NYC

Evelyn Gonzalez Valle, Contributing Writer

Mrs. Saraceno’s Spanish V class traveled to NYC to watch La Casa De Bernarda Alba at El Teatro Del Repertorio Espanol on April 3.
The Spanish IV class read this play in class. The play is by the Spanish dramatist Federico García Lorca and it’s about a domineering matriarch named Bernarda Alba who after her second husband’s death imposes an eight-year mourning period on her household. Bernarda has five daughters between that ages of 20 and 39 whom she has prevented from having any sort of relationship.
According to Ms. Saraceno, this experience offers the students a chance to enhance their listening skills. They will also have an opportunity to hear different Spanish accents as the actors are from a variety of countries, including Spain, Venezuela, Colombia, Cuba, and Puerto Rico, said Ms.Saraceno.
Senior Yena Lee attended the performance on April 3.
“It was nice to see a live, professional performance of the play that we read in class,” said Lee, in an email. “It was a lot of fun for us and a great learning experience.”
Lee said she enjoyed the performance in the small theater and that the lighting and sound system was engaging. Lee said even though that all of the actors were speaking in Spanish, she could still understand them.
“I hope future Spanish V students can continue to have these kinds of field trips,” said Lee.
Senior Gavin Otero also attended the performance.
“I thought the trip was very useful and I feel as though I learned a lot,” said Otero, in an email. “The trip was a lot of fun and very enjoyable experience, I think, for everyone who went.”
Gavin said that he learned more about all the different accents and how Spanish can be spoken in different countries.
El Teatro Del Repertorio is located in NYC; all the plays are in Spanish.