High school students join new Tri-M Music Honor Society

Sarah Gonzalez, Contributing Writer

Monroe-Woodbury High School students joined Tri-M Music Honor Society this spring. The Tri-M Music Honor Society is an international honor society that allows accepted students to be recognized for their hard work and talent. At Monroe-Woodbury, it is run by co-advisers Ms. Buono and Dr. Crone. It is also the first activity that allows the chorus, orchestra, and band students to work together.

“I feel as if there’s a little bit of a disconnect between the chorus students, the band students, and the orchestra students, so this is going to be a great opportunity for all the students who love music…to come together,” said Ms. Buono.

Applications were due March 20, and the first meeting was held April 3. Meetings will be held in the chorus room or auditorium depending on the number of applicants.

To be accepted, students must have been juniors or seniors. They are required to have a Grade Point Average of 93 and an overall average of 97 in a music class such as band, orchestra, or chorus. They must also have participated in the New York State School Music Association (NYSSMA) Solo Festival at least one year and earned a score of 21 out of 28 or a 90 out of 100.

The school website also states that students may also apply as officers. Positions for officers include president, vice president, secretary, treasurer, and historian. This gives the students the opportunity to make decisions in the program.

“The co-advisers are there to mostly guide the students,” said co-adviser Ms. Buono.

The Tri-M Music Honor Society’s first meeting was about planning the induction ceremony. The induction was April 11.

The students who are a part of it will spread music locally by performing and assisting at different events throughout the school year.

“Our goal is to bring the music to the community and also to kind of give the music students that are doing so well in music a chance to meet and come together,” said Ms. Buono.

Because it is an honor society, seniors will be able to get music honor cords that show music was a part of their time at the high school.

Student Meghan Jezik is a cellist in the chamber orchestra and explained the importance of a music honor society in the school. She thinks that joining this music honor society will benefit students since they will be able to add another achievement onto their college applications.

“I think colleges will appreciate seeing the time and effort that we put into our music programs here in school,” said Jezik. “I feel like the music department isn’t always recognized for all the talent that people have in it.”