Students showed school pride during spirit week

Anuj Chowdhuri, Staf Writer

This year, spirit week took place from October 1 to October 5 at the high school.

The week started off with Music Monday where people wore t-shirts of their favorite bands, artists or albums. Some just wore a t-shirt with a music note to support the spirit.

Next came TV Tuesday where people came dressed up as characters from any form of entertainment such as movies, dramas or television series. Noteworthy costumes included Fionna from Adventure Time, every Mean Girl, a few Hogwarts alumni, Jim from The Office, and Dora the Explorer.

Out of this World Western Wednesday brought out cowboys and aliens at the same time. Some people doubled up as space cowboys, some people, however, came up with an alternative theme of Whiteout Wednesday, in which they wore all white to school.

When asked why some opted for white instead of western, sophomore Solomon McCray said, “This year’s theme for Wednesday didn’t really make sense so we made our own.”

Class Colors Thursday came next. The halls and the people were painted in red, blue, green, and rainbow. Many students came with capes, wigs, masks or tutus corresponding to their class color. 

Finally Purple Pride Friday came along with pep rally. Even those who opted to not participate in the first four days showed up dressed for pep rally. Purple waves cascaded through the halls between classes.

The seniors attended a barbecue that offered hamburgers, hot dogs and watermelons along with beverages to those seniors celebrating their last spirit week at the Monroe-Woodbury. Along with food, different games and activities were played on the fields.

“Senior barbecue and pep rally were great and so fun!” said senior Elizabeth Hamann.

Screams and the wave of purple from pep rally could even be heard at Central Valley Elementary. The war of cheers between the classes started off the rally as always, each trying to outdo the others. Pep rally also had cheerleading, the football team’s skit, and class games.

The football team’s skit and cheerleaders’ routines are two of the most anticipated events of spirit week every year. The drum line also showed their presence as purple dust exploded off the drums as a part of their performance, and the crowd responded by exploding into cheers.

Class games ended with seniors winning the water balloon toss, juniors winning the dizzy bat relays, and sophomores winning the three-legged race.