How Remote Learning is Affecting Students’ Study Habits

Audrey Whitfield, Staff Writer

Students at Monroe-Woodbury High School have been participating in a hybrid learning model since the beginning of the school year on September 8. In response to these changing times, students’ study habits have also been affected.

In a poll taken by Monroe-Woodbury High School students, 71 percent of students said they are studying less than they normally would at this point in the year and 29 percent said they are studying more than normal.

“I am studying more, I believe, for a multitude of reasons,” said senior Kelli Gatling. “I am making sure colleges see that I’m still maintaining excellent grades as a senior, to show I am persevering through the challenges of online schooling, and to raise my ranking.”

Both senior Jillian Froio and junior Madison Fulton claim that there is more work this school year than in previous years.

“I’ve never been more overwhelmed,” said Fulton.

“It’s not that the workload is more; it’s that the teachers are trying to make up for the lack of class time in their work,” said McHugh.

“I feel I’m studying less because of a lack of motivation,” said sophomore Julia McHugh. “Being at home you know you have the resources to look up anything at any time or ask a friend instead of studying and doing the work yourself.”

Sophomore Kiera Hughes said she is also studying less, due to a lack of motivation. She has her notes at home, and she uses them on tests with teachers that allow her to do so.

Some students are only studying for about 30 to 60 minutes a day, such as Keira Hughes and Jillian Froio, while others are studying between one to three hours like Gatling and McHugh.

Gatling said that last year, she barely used to study. However, this year she studies for about two hours a day because it is harder for her to fully understand the lessons.