First Year of Living History – Living Ink’s Social Studies Cousin

Ava Maier, Contributing Writer

Living History is a program where students have the chance to take elective-like workshops, one day in the year instead of taking their normal history class. During this time, students pick what they want to learn, and are able to learn history through things they enjoy and are most interested in. Along with students, teachers have the chance to come up with what they want to teach and are able to make a class directly on that topic. 

“It showcases the teachers in the department,” said Mr. McElroy, the chair of the history department.

Living History has been an idea for many years but finally came into being in the 2019-20 school year.

“It was an idea we discussed in the department for years,” said Mr. McElroy.

According to Mr. McElroy, the workshops have a lot of things to offer beyond the single day Living History event. Some of the workshops were based on electives in our buildings, and others can be turned into electives.

One of the major goals is to help students better understand history through what they are interested in. In the future, they are planning on keeping Living History.

“Feedback was positive from teachers and students,” said Mr. McElroy.

According to the website eNotes, it is important to study history because it allows us to understand our past, which in turn allows us to understand our present. … Studying history can provide us with insight into our cultures of origin as well as cultures with which we might be less familiar, thereby increasing cross-cultural awareness and understanding.”

Freshman Sarah Ledwitz said “[Living History] teaches how history affected and continues to affect today’s society in different ways.”