Students discuss literature in high school book club

Jared Anderson, Staff Writer

On Thursday, March 7, Monroe-Woodbury High School’s book club met to discuss and watch the movie version of their book, The Lonely Bones. After snacks were served, everyone gathered around and started the movie.

Throughout the film, members talked about scenes of the movie and what was coming next, as well as how it correlated to the book. This was the first time the club has watched the movie version of their book.

At the end of the meeting, after the movie, votes for the next book started to be tallied.

Members in the book club had the opportunity to vote on what the next book discussed will be. The options were: Small Great Things, Vanishing Acts, both by Jodi Picoult, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night by Mark Haddon, Far From the Tree by Robin Benway, I’ll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson, and the winner, More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera.

The book club was started the previous school year and Ms. Chappell has advised it for both years.

“I wanted students to have a love of reading like I do,” said Ms. Chappell.

The club meets bi-weekly: first, students make posters relating to the cover of the book and then they come in two weeks later and discuss the book after reading it.

Ms. Chappell encourages others to come and try out the book club because she wants everyone to come together and talk about different books and genres.

Member Paige Malabanan says that she joined the book club because she “likes to read a lot” and wanted to talk to others about books she wouldn’t normally read. Her favorite book is I’ll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson.

Lauren Mullahy joined the book club because she wanted to “get back into reading like in Middle School”, and her favorite book is Tell No Lies by Gregg Hurwitz.

Another member, Day Bermeo, joined as she “always liked books” and thought the book club would be a right match. Her favorite book is Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly.