Blood drive was held in high school in March

Claire Donnelly, Contributing Writer

On Friday, March 8, the Monroe-Woodbury High School hosted a New York Blood Center blood drive from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. The drive was held in the wrestling room and was open to anyone in the public that was eligible to give blood, including students, teachers, faculty, and community members.

“There is no such thing as artificial blood, so when there is a need, this is the only way we can get it for people who are sick on the daily basis and for emergencies,” said Ms. Rodriguez, Donor Relations Associative.

The NY Blood Center has declared a blood emergency, meaning many people who need blood transfusions immediately will not receive them because there is a limited amount of blood.

“No one should wait to give blood, it is extremely important,” said Ms. Rodriguez. “[If] everybody who could donate did donate, we would never be in a shortage.”

Blood Drives are the only way these organizations such as the NYBC can get enough blood that many are waiting for.

The school’s FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America) club prepared and helped this process to run smoothly throughout the entire day. FBLA members had shifts throughout the day to assist those who had donated.

“​FBLA members either manage registration of incoming donors, assist with crowd control when getting them checked in with the nursing staff, assist with bringing donors to the canteen table after they have donated, watch over donors to make sure they are feeling well enough to return to class,” said Ms. Palkaunieks, adviser of FBLA.

The FBLA also aided anyone who was having medical troubles after donating.

“​The members learn to manage volunteers, organize the registration process, and market the drive for donors,” said Ms. Palkaunieks.

These drives also give students experiences in the medical and business fields.

“To give blood is saving lives, which is most important. By giving lives to people who are sick, you are helping people just like how doctors and nurses help, it’s just one step in the process,” said nurse Ms. Hernandez.

During the drive, 67 pints of blood were collected.