Language honor societies held Mardi Gras fundraiser

Brandon Tejada, Contributing Writer

For the first time at Monroe-Woodbury High School, the language honor societies hosted a Mardi Gras fundraiser on March 13.

The celebration lasted from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. in the small cafeteria. There was an entry fee of three dollars. Students could also pay for a five dollar snack pack instead of paying the fee.

The event was a fundraiser for language honor society seniors. The fundraiser was to cover their graduations cords.

“Honors society seniors will receive cords when they graduate. This year, unfortunately, they are not covered anymore by the budget,” said Italian teacher, Mrs. DeLong.

The games included: bowling, ping-pong, KanJam, and cornhole. Seniors were at each session making sure that the students could play the carnival games. Some seniors stood by the bowling lanes to pick up pins, and some played KanJam with the guests. Later in the event, classic Italian music was played.

The celebration of Mardi Gras is held in February before fasting season of Lent in March. The celebration is held in Europe and originated in France and Italy. People put on colorful costumes and beads and masquerades of purple, yellow, and green. They are a feast in the days of the carnival as Mardi Gras translates to “Fat Tuesday.” The celebration would allegedly keep peasants calm and happy so that order could be kept.

According to Mrs. DeLong, peasants had better relations with the leaders, and it became less about keeping the poor people stable and calm.

“It was an opportunity for poor people to celebrate on days they didn’t have to work. They could receive free food and free drinks,” said Mrs. DeLong.