Students urged to vote in midterm elections

Kate Shetekauri, Contributing Writer

Midterm elections were held on November 6 and students in Monroe-Woodbury were urged to vote by teachers and peers in their community.

Midterm elections are held halfway through the presidential term. This week, voters had a chance to elect one-third of the senators and all 435 members of the US House of Representatives. Everyone eligible to register to vote must be a US citizen over the age of 18 with no recent felony convictions. 

Full election results can be found here.

Monroe-Woodbury High School is one of many schools in the Hudson Valley that lets its students register to vote during the school day by setting up stations outside the cafeteria for students.

“They had these two large tables on both sides, you can just grab a form and fill it out,” said Senior Nicole Beneat. “They had these two women there who could help if you needed it.”

Junior Reaan Sarker said although she can’t vote, she urged her older classmates to do so.

“It’s really important,” said Sarker. “You should be able to exercise this right in a democracy.”

Mr. McElroy, a history teacher, informed his class of juniors about the election.

“I know you guys can’t vote, obviously, but maybe this is something that you go home and tell your parents about,” said Mr. McElroy.