Learn a language and make new friends in sign language club

Alana Collopy, Contributing Writer

Monroe-Woodbury High School’s sign language club is held from 2:15 until 3 p.m. on Thursdays every other week. 

The adviser of sign language club is Mr. Rodriguez, a Spanish teacher at the high school. Mr. Rodriguez said that although he is the adviser of sign language club, he was not the inspiration behind it.

“It was the inspiration of two young ladies who are now college freshman,” said Mr. Rodriguez. “They wanted to start a program and no one was either certified or able to work with them.”

Mr. Rodriguez encouraged more students to become members of sign language club and said he believes it is very useful.

“I think a lot of kids are interested, but they don’t necessarily know where it meets or when it is,” said Mr. Rodriguez. 

Mr. Rodriguez said he believes that sign language club has impacted its members.

“I really do believe that the people that come benefit tremendously from coming,” said Mr. Rodriguez. “I have definitely seen a lot of the core kids who have come just really benefit and just kind of bring an awareness to a deaf culture and just basically looking for different ways to use sign language in the community or in other aspects.”

Various students help run the club, including senior Chloe Guerrera, who has been a member of the club since she was a sophomore.

“During a typical sign language club meeting, we usually start with a short themed lesson such as foods or animals, and then we do an activity to reinforce what we have learned,” said Guerrera.

Guerrera said that she likes being a member of the club.

“What I love most about sign language club is sharing my love for sign language with others who share the same interest,” Guerrera said. “We can all learn from each other.”

Senior Anuj Chowdhuri is also in sign language club.

“I had an interest in learning sign language and saw a great opportunity to make new friends,” said Chowdhuri. “I would encourage more students to join because sign language club is a very laid back and fun environment even though you are learning a language.”

“I have formed great friendships because of it and I have learned a lot in an enjoyable way,” said Chowdhuri.